Commercial
Carbon Monoxide Detection

Keep your employees and customers safe from carbon monoxide leaks.

Is your Small Business safe from Carbon Monoxide?

As a small business owner, safety hazards in the workplace are your worst nightmare. If you have any source of gas in your building, you could be putting your employees and customers in danger if you don’t equip yourself with a CO detector.

According to the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs, CO (the “silent killer”) leads to the death of over 50 Canadians every year, and cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are higher in winter than at any other time. The last thing you need in your business is having you clients getting poisonned when they take a visit to your establishment.

Close up of flame under gas stove burner.

What is carbon monoxide (CO)?

CO is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans. It can cause illness even at very low concentrations, and at high levels can cause convulsions, coma, brain damage and even death. CO enters the body through the lungs and prevents the flow of oxygen to the heart, brain, and other vital organs. Earlier in 2019, a carbon monoxide leak at a Winnipeg motel sent 46 people to the hospital.

At-work CO sources include heating from propane, natural gas or oil, cars, elevators or anything else that produces gas emissions. Cases of CO poisoning spike in the winter, when garages or warehouses are often left closed for too long without enough aeration. If any of your workplace equipment or utilities produce gas emissions, a commercial CO detector is an indispensable tool to protect your employees and customers.

How can a carbon monoxide leak affect my business?

  • In 2017, two people were hospitalized and 26 others were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a CO leak at a food manufacturing and labeling plant in Saskatoon. The source? A propane-fueled forklift.
  • In 2014, a member of a work crew at a Toronto property maintenance business died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the parking garage of a condominium. The source was determined to be gas-powered power washers, and it was also determined that the exhaust fans in the garage were not working. The company was charged under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and fined $75,000.
White carbon monoxide alarm.

FAQs

Get Started With STANLEY Security's Carbon Monoxide Detection